I'd never tried lentils before, but when I saw them at Earthfare I knew it was time to finally give these little seeds a chance. I adapted this Italian style lentil soup into a vegan dish by substituting Rotel for the spicy sausage the recipe normally calls for. This soup was one of our favorite new recipes from the vegan challenge. It's a hearty dish packed full of flavor with just the right amount of kick.
We loved this soup so much we even made a special batch to share with our friends at Nerd Lunch.
- 1/4 lb orzo pasta
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion
- 2 cloves garlic (or 1 tsp)
- 4 or 5 medium carrots, pealed and chopped
- 4 or 5 celery stalks, chopped
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can mild Rotel
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tbs basil
- 1tsp parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook orzo according to package directions. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until onions become transparent.
- Add celery and carrots, stirring for 3-5 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth, Rotel, orzo, lentils, and spices.
- Bring to a low boil and cover, simmering 20-30 minutes, or until lentils are soft.