- 1 tube Pillsbury french bread dough
- 2T butter, melted
- 3T sugar
- 1/2 t cinnamon
- 1/4 t nutmeg
- 1t lemon zest
- pinch salt
- food coloring
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1t rum extract
- 1/4 t vanilla extract
- 3t milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper and spray oil on top to keep the dough from sticking.
- Open the french bread dough and separate the loaf into 3 equal parts. Place each ball of dough into separate bowls and add food coloring to each and work the food coloring into each until well mixed. Note: You want to end up with green, yellow and purple dough so follow the coloring directions on the back of your food coloring box for best color results.
- Separate each dough ball into five smaller balls. On a flowered surface roll each of the small dough balls into 3 inch strips.
- One the cookie sheet lay one strip of green out the top with a strip of yellow and purple creating an asterisk symbol with the dough. Repeat with the rest of the dough. Then brush the top of each with melted butter.
- Mix together the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon zest and salt. Scoop about 1 teaspoon of the mixture into each and reserve any excess to sprinkle on top of the cakes before baking. Fold in the sides of the dough. Be sure to add your baby figurine into one of the cakes. Note: If you don't have a figurine you can add in dried bean or even a piece of dried fruit.
- Bake the cakes for 20-25 minutes. Then remove from the oven and cool.
- While the cakes are baking mix together the glaze ingredients until smooth. Once the cakes have cooled drizzle with glaze and sprinkle with colored sugar.
- Let the glaze set for about 20 minutes before serving then enjoy! Happy Fat Tuesday!